Tuesday 22 November 2011

Construction: 7th Day Of Editing

Today, after we had finished the filming session, I, Jack, decided to go back to school and use my spare time wisely and carry on with the editing process in order for us to meet the final January deadline easily and surely.


I spent, in total, five hours (11 a.m. - 4 p.m.) in the computer room working on the project. The reason why I had spent such a long amount of time doing so  is for a couple of reasons; firstly, I encountered a few problems - when I plugged the camera into the computer to upload the footage onto it, the files were not there due to the settings on the camera - the camera had been formatted to process the clips as .MOD files, but someone who had previously used the camera changed the option to .MPEG files. This was a repetitive process, however, because at first I kept trying to re-plug the camera in the computer, until eventually I got help from my teacher. 


The second reason why I spent so long is that the editing is that the editing has to be as precise as it can be. Once I had converted each individual .MOD file to a .MPEG and put them onto Premiere, which in itself is a lengthy process, I had to sort through them all and make sure all the ones we needed were there, getting rid of any un-needed ones. I then had to begin piecing them together; this took a lot of time as the miming in the clips has to be match the lyrics of the actual background song as precisely as it can, in order for it to look as realistic as possible, and as though the man (Sid) was actually singing it. This took a lot of adjustment and cropping, and on many occasions I had to delete the clip and start again until it was as close as I could get it. For some unknown reason, a couple of previously edited footages had disappeared, which added to them time spent editing because I had to do the above to these again. 


The software I used in this part of the editing process was Adobe Premiere, and the tools I used to do so are as follows:
- razor tool: this was used to cut the footage to the correct length, and to cut clips into different pieces (if needs be).
- cursor tool: this was used to select footage and move it along the timeline, as well as placing it in the correct position on the timeline.
- brightness tool: this was used to adjust the brightness of some of the clips so that they matched the others in order to maintain consistency, due to them having been shot when the weather was slightly overcast.
- effects panel: this was used to select, and then apply, effects onto the different clips. The effects I used were:
1. 'Black and white' - I used this to show that particular clips were memories of past events (time the man had spent with his ex-lover when they were together) and to represent his nostalgia.

2. 'Dip to white' - I used this to mark the end of one scene and the beginning of another so that they flowed together and one didn't just abruptly appear after the another with a change of setting.
3. 'Cross dissolve' - I used this to a similar sort of affect as above, but instead of the screen turning white to indicate the end of one section and the start of another, the new clip faded in as the finished one faded out.


Other than the aforementioned problems, no others were encountered. Once things were flowing and I had everything in Premiere and had began editing, I didn't encounter any problems as I was already familiar with the software due to past experience.


Written by Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment