Tuesday 22 November 2011

Construction: 5th Day Of Editing

In our last lesson before the christmas holidays - Wednesday 14th December - I decided to carry on the editing process. Due to Tyrone's absence on this day, I, Jack, decided that it would be fair if I were to do the editing whilst Sid and Elliott worked on other blog posts and done some planning for future filming days.


In this editing session, I decided to use the time available to me to wrap up the green screening part of the video - previously, Tyrone done the first green screen section, but we have decided to use it on another occasion later on in the video. As a group, we decided that it would be relevant to use a green-screen for the lyrics "maybe i'll get famous as the man who can't be moved, maybe you won't mean to but you'll see me on the news" - using a news screen as the background, and text that says something along the lines of  "Breaking News!", we'd be able to show how the man has claimed fame, and is known on a large scale for his refusal to move from the place at which he is waiting for his ex-lover to appear.


The software I used in this part of the editing was Adobe After Effects, and the tools I used to do so are as follows:
- colour key: this tool was used to get rid of the green background on the original footage. Because  there are a lot of individual shades of green, I had to use the colour key to select this each time.

- feather: Once I had selected a shade of green (see above), I reduced the size/amount of feathering in order to get rid of all segments of that particular shade of green.
- resize: I used the resize tool (indicated by the four small squares at the edges of an object) to resize the footage so that it fitted onto the screen of the background to make it look realistic.

- edge: I used this to adjust the size of the edges around the footage, which reduced the amount of green to a minimal level.


The whole lesson was used up on the green screening, as it is a very precise procedure, and the accuracy of the footage on the background is crucial in order for it to look as realistic is possible. However, due to previous use of the software in the preliminary stages of the coursework project, I was familiar with the software and knew how to use it to a sufficient level - because of this, no problems were encountered during the editing. The only thing, although it is extremely minor, is that I didn't get it finished, and will have to devote time in the first lesson back to get it done.


Written by Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment